Take the Gospel to the Churches


"Go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel... (Matt. 10:6) 
This holiday, I read a book called Radical by David Platt. While I did not agree with the entirety of his book, there were aspects of his argument which really hit home for me. Particularly, the chapter "Living When Dying Is Gain," spoke to me in a way that Platt perhaps was not intending. Platt encouraged the reader to obey the Great Commission, and to go out into the world preaching the gospel to all the nations, regardless of the consequences. He told the stories of many missionaries who faced death, disease, and persecution for the glory of God. One woman was poisoned by her own parents. A husband and wife were killed and cannibalized by a native tribe. They were like all obedient sheep, being devoured by wolves. This troubled me. I call myself a Christian, but what was I doing for God's glory? What could I do? Where could I go to preach the gospel? Practically, I considered, where could I go that was within my meansI thought of local ministries and charities that I could get involved in.  And then, in a moment I knew. I felt both convicted, guilty, empowered, and freed.  
"Brother will deliver brother over to death..." (Matt. 10:21) 
I haven't been to church in several months. But it's been longer since I felt like I could call a church my home. I did have a home church for nearly ten years, but then something changed. As the years went by, the paint on the walls began to chip, revealing the structural defects in this community. (See my previous blog post "Living House"). It was a community I loved and respected. But I soon realized that, with the exception of a few people, my love there was unrequited. In addition, my respect began to fade in the face of the hypocrisy I witnessed. I was hurt, and I was bitter, and there was a part of me that didn't believe in the Church anymore. But after reading Platt's book, it occurred to me that I wasn't only called to take the gospel to the nations, I was primarily called to take the gospel to the churches. 
"So have no fear of them..."  (Matt. 10:26) 
At some point in the past, church had become my Nineveh. I have developed a subtle but distinct distrust and even dislike of many church-people. But underneath any bitterness, the predominant emotion is fear and sorrow. I am afraid of being hurt by the church. This is incredible cowardice on my part, this much I own. What can the church do to me? Church people could hate me. Church people could lie about me. These wolves in sheep's clothing could devour me emotionally. And, if the past is any evidence, they probably will. But that's all they can do. As Jesus said in Matthew, "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul" (Matt. 10:28). 
"Whoever receives you receives me..."  (Matt. 10:40) 
Lord willing, I will go to church this Sunday, though probably not my home church at this time. As Jesus said,  "When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next, for truly, I say to you, you will not have gone through all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes" (Matthew 10:23). Wherever I go, I am not counting on being warmly welcomed. Or hearing the Word of God preached from the pulpit. Or anything more than artificial smiles, hypocritical glances, and superficial greetings. I won't be surprised to see the supposed body of Christ emotionally cannibalizing its weaker members. But maybe I will be surprised. Maybe, I will find an underground church of genuine Christians beneath the bustle of a mega church mega hypocrisy? Maybe, my life will be touched  by just one old woman who gives everything she has to a church caught  up in materialism? Maybe, a well-educated man with a child-like faith will prove that knowledge doesn't always puffeth up?  Maybe, someone will give evidence to the activity of the Holy Spirit in the church today? Or maybe, with God's help, I can be that person for someone else. And if not, then maybe I can say at least I lived trying.

Comments

Popular Posts